Sunday, June 5, 2011

Mystery bird revealed, plus... HUMMINGBIRD FEEDER!

So yesterday I saw this cool cinnamon colored bird, and thought it might be a wood thrush. Today, I’ve seen them a TON of times, and I’m sure now... it’s a brown thrasher. Its eyes are a bright yellow, and it’s got the 2 bands on its wings like the picture below. They’re such long, graceful birds, and super pretty. I see them out near the birdfeeders, in the bush under the computer room window, and in the back yard, along the tree line. Every time, they avoid coming out into the open as much as possible, and are pretty skittish, though the one(s?) that come to the computer room bush don’t seem to mind me peeking out at them every time I hear a scritching. They’re in there hunting bugs, but also picking up bits of the thorny stems, maybe to take for nest building?
d80june_103b-2011-06-5-15-40.jpg

Also cool today... I got to hang up my hummingbird feeder! Quinn put the bracket on the tree last night, and I boiled up my first solution of sugar water this morning. Within ONE HOUR, a hummer came to investigate, and have a nice long drink. Super cool!! Now I’ve got a tripod set up in the living room to try to capture some images of the little guys, though I doubt it’ll get much, even at full zoom. The one I saw was green all over its back, and creamy colored underneath. No red to be seen. I’ll try to get some pictures to post too.

No comments:

Post a Comment