Monday, June 6, 2011

Night hummers?

So 2 things started out my morning (so far!)

1) The hummingbird feeder was totally empty this morning when I came downstairs. When I went out to try to figure out what was up, the ground underneath was sort of tacky, so my best guess is that something came to investigate it, and tipped it sideways a little while it was checking it out. If it doesn’t stay perfectly level, the juice leaks out. I boiled up a new batch, and rehung my newest toy!

2) I heard the really loud woodpecker out in the woods again this morning, before the boys went to school. It kept chatting, and sounded like it was close to the house, so I went from window to window to try to see him/her. I finally made it out onto the little back deck, and spotted it! It was a pileated woodpecker!! It flew from around sprinkler Zone 5 over to a sassafras tree next to the ornamental dogwood, and didn’t seem to notice me at all! I can’t remember ever seeing them in person before - they are BIG birds! No wonder they make such a racket when they call. :D After the sassafras, it headed down to the swampy pond down below the house.

Bit of a bummer in the afternoon... I did my 4 mile tread, fed Nomes lunch, and had just gotten changed into my blue/white striped bikini, to get a bit of sun, when the school called. Nater was in the nurse’s office with a fever of 101ยบ. I texted Quinn, and he left work to go fetch Nate home. Quinn decided to just stay home after that, and he worked in the computer room with the door shut for the rest of the afternoon/evening. He did take a break to come out for supper, and then to help tuck the kids in bed, but he pretty much worked solidly from 3:30pm to 9:45pm. Wow!

Luckily, after I gave Nate ibuprofen, he got cool and stayed cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment