Thursday, June 16, 2011

When it rains, it pours

This afternoon, I was at the computer and heard the squawking of the pileated woodpecker again through the open window to my right. I slowly looked right so as not to startle it, and after a bit of looking, I found him/her working for breakfast on a tree just inside the woods line. As I was smiling at the sight of the silly thing hammering away at the wood, I saw another one flap in, and start poking around! They seemed like they were in a family unit, because they were quite close to each other, yet didn’t spend any time in any kind of overt communication between themselves. So I’m enjoying the show when a THIRD one joined the first two! There they were, all 3 of them, tap-tap-tapping at tree branches and trunks, not even thirty feet away from me! They are such goofy birds! I had no idea until I watched this trio flutter-flapping from one spot to another. One of them even hung upside down, picking at something between his toes, while one of his ?siblings? landed on top of the same branch and bounced a little. They remind me a LOT of the Pixar short, for the birds.
Forthebirds-2011-06-16-15-57.jpg

I wish I’d been able to get a picture of their antics, but my camera’s just not that good, and I was afraid if I moved, they’d get spooked and fly off.

Awesome sighting! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment