Thursday, June 2, 2011

Of suet feeders and pink moths

First thing - the poor suet feeder. When I came downstairs this morning, I saw that the night attackers had ripped the metal of the holder right apart! The carbiner was still attached to the feeder, but the whole contraption was on the ground, with the 2” piece of metal still attached. I re-hung it on one of the nails sticking out of the tree, reloaded it, and am hoping for the best. I’m sure it’ll get gleefully ripped down tonight.

After that, I figured I’d distract them, so I refilled the “squirrel-proof” (haha!) birdfeeder, so now there are 2 things hanging on the tree. I want to get the hummingbird feeder up and running, so that’ll make 3, eventually.

Naomi found a beautiful moth that had just emerged from its cocoon, wings still floppy and wet. She captured it gently, and we put it into a “trap”, with a stick to climb on, and left it to air out on the front porch. An hour later, when I went to check on it, there were 3 other similar moths flapping all around. I’m guessing that Nomes caught a girl, and all the boys had smelled her pheromones and were trying to home in on her scent. Poor guys! After a lot of searching, turns out these guys are “Pink-striped Oakworm Moths” - what a mouthful! Here’s a neat link to some info/photos: http://www.hiltonpond.org/ThisWeek080316.html

No comments:

Post a Comment